Tuesday, January 21, 2014

What Good is a Farm Without a Barn?

It's been a while since my last post, but I've made some good progress lately. After adding login screens and a registration system for Farmageddon, it was time to start working on some game assets. My modeling program of choice is Blender 3D, and while I'm still far from a professional when it comes to modeling, I am confident that I can produce some great quality game assets for Farmageddon myself.



I decided to start with the barn, given it's relatively rectangular shape and it's symmetry. I decided the best way to do this would be to work on a single corner of the barn, then apply a mirror mod to it when completed, allowing me to make changes to the entire model while only needing to worry about 1/4 of it. The results are below:



As I said, I'm still relatively new when it comes to modeling, and this barn is my fourth draft, but I'm very happy with the results. Although it took a lot of extra time to get the "cartoon" look and shape done right (without overlapping faces), the extra work was worth it in the end.



As you can see from the screens above, the barn is not quite finished, but I'm getting closer and closer every chance I get to work on it. The last steps are attaching the silo to the side of the barn... doing this while keeping my topology in tact has been a bit of a challenge, but I now have a system that works for me, even if it is incredibly tedious. I'm hoping that with experience will come more and more tricks I can utilize in Blender that will shorten the time required for me to come up with game assets, but for now, I'm just happy to be almost done with my first.

The next step will be texturing the barn, with which I have limited experience as well. When I get the barn textured, I will have finally completed my first 3D object for use in a game, from start to finish. And when I can confidently say that this barn is completed and is in the game, I know that with hard work, patience, and the support of some incredibly online communities, I can create entire worlds in Unity and Blender and bring them to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment