Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Website Finally Complete!

I have spent the majority of my dev time this past week on continuing updates to the Farmageddon website. After quite a bit of CSS styling and graphics work, I have finally published what is the first-final-draft of the website, complete with video, screenshots, a contact page, and the ability to register for a newsletter. You can check out the complete Farmageddon website at farmageddongame.com

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of gameplay updates to post right now, but I will be working to put the finishing touches on the game this week to get it ready for Alpha testing.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Major Website Update

After spending quite a bit of time working on Farmageddon's in-game menu system, I decided that the website was overdue for an update. Up until now it has been a very basic layout with outdated background graphics that simply displayed blog posts one after the other. Updating/adding the blog posts on the site was all done manually as well, increasing my chances to make a mistake.

The resulting website took about a day and a half to complete, and I'm still working on adding a lot more content. The main update, other than the layout, is the use of an API to automatically pull blog posts from the Farmageddon Dev Blog. This is going to save me the time and frustration that updating the website used to create.

I'm currently working on the 'Contact' page, which will also include an option to join our newsletter. Once the contact page is complete, I will be working on the main landing page, which will become the default page once the game is in Alpha testing.

I should have the newsletter sign-up scripts finished shortly for anyone who wants to receive updates about the game.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

New Particle Effects, Environment Features, and more

Technically, Farmageddon should be done in 2 days time. It's pretty obvious at this point that I am not going to finish this game in 30 days as I had originally stated, but I'm not deterred at all. That deadline stood more as motivation to complete the game rather than a time limit, and considering how much I've gotten done in that last month, I'm convinced that Farmageddon will be in the Android and Windows Store soon.

The majority of my work since the last post has been on the environment. I traded in my default Unity3D particles that were swirling around the tornado for some leaves. I reworked the terrain as well, adding rolling farmlands in the background to contrast with the skybox. I also added some grass and wheat blowing in the wind.

A view of the new environment via the Unity3D Scene window...

...and via the Game window.

As you may be able to see from the screenshots, there are now animals flying around the tornado at the login screen.. adding a bit of character to an otherwise boring part of the game.  Here's a better example in the form of a GIF:

The next few days, my free time will be spent adding the main menu system, as well as putting the finishing touches on the end-game/hi-scores screens. Once the "Play Again" button is done, and any other small tasks are taken care of, Farmageddon will be ready for a round of Open-Alpha testing on the website.

Be sure to check us out on IndieDB at http://www.indiedb.com/games/farmageddon